I know that many local people are rightly distressed by the situation in Afghanistan and the impact this will have on millions of Afghans at home and people around the world.
Over recent days, I have been contacted by many local people about the future of Afghanistan, and I am grateful to all those in Newport West who have taken the time to write to me; but more importantly, I am grateful for their calls for action.
Additionally – I am so proud of the way our First Minister, Mark Drakeford MS, has made very clear that Wales will welcome refugees with open arms and I will be pushing UK Ministers to ensure that the devolved administrations, and local councils, have the resources they need to honour our commitment to those fleeing Afghanistan.
British nationals in Afghanistan should contact the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. They can call +44 (0)1908 516666 and select the option “Consular services for British nationals”.
Resettlement Scheme and help for non-British nationals in serious danger
The Resettlement Scheme has not yet been opened, and it is not yet clear if it will be opened before the ‘air bridge’ is closed, or if it will be possible to apply for the Scheme from within Afghanistan. I have strongly and repeatedly urged the Government to open the Scheme as quickly as possible.
However, the UK Government has said that some non-British nationals are being evacuated on the basis that they face serious danger as a result of the situation. Labour MPs are currently making representations on behalf of a large number of vulnerable Afghans on this basis.
If your family/friends are Afghan (or non-British) nationals in Afghanistan and you believe they are in serious danger, please call +44 (0)2475 389980.
This number is for those who need immediate evacuation help. The number is extremely busy and waiting times can be very long. The UK Government has stated that this phone line is not for providing advice on eligibility for the full Afghan Citizens’ Resettlement Scheme and it is not to be used for registering future interest in that scheme.
You will need to provide as much detail of each family member in Afghanistan as possible, including:
Date of birth
Passport or ID number
The UK Government has advised that people who fall into one of the following categories are being prioritised for immediate support:
- current or former Chevening Scholars;
- people with existing leave or an open application for student, work and family visas;
- journalists and those who worked for British news agencies;
- civil society groups for womens’ rights;
- Afghan government officials;
- officials working in counter-terrorism and counter-narcotics; and
- employees of charities, humanitarian organisations and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP)
This is an evacuation and resettlement scheme for current or former employees of the UK Government.
If you believe your family/friends might be eligible for this scheme, please call the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy on +44 (0)792907303, email email@example.com, or fill in the online relocations form at
If you want to get in touch with me about friends/relatives in danger, please provide the following information for each person who needs help:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Relationship to you
- Home Office Reference Number (if any)
- Passport/Travel Document/ID card number
- Copies of any relevant documents
- Contact details in Afghanistan
- If they have/are:
- Working for the UK or Consular services
- Journalist or worked with British News Agencies
- Current of former Chevening scholar
- Member of civil society group for womens’ rights
- Afghan Government Official or Judiciary
- Official working in Counter-terrorism and counter narcotics
- Employee of a charity, humanitarian organisation or NGO
Over the coming days, I will be holding Ministers to account and making sure they do the right thing by all those in such desperate need. If you have family in Afghanistan and need assistance in getting them safely out of the country, please get in touch with me as soon as you can.